Thursday, June 24, 2010

After The Storm


Well, the storms yesterday did leave their mark. I heard the trash can hit the garage more than once as the winds attempted to fling it to the around. Of course, with the garage in the way, all it really did was create a very loud, hollow boom that freaked out the kids and puppy in the house. The birds were surprisingly oblivious to the howling winds, and thunder that sounded like cannon volleys in the dark. Makes me wonder why they'll freak out when a tiny little earthquake hits. Ah well.

Anyway, apparently the storm did a tad more damage than I thought it would. We didn't lose power thank goodness, but while going to get the mail, something in the now too long grass of my yard caught my eye. Its been raining almost every day for a week, mind you. Dad cut the lawn before he left, but when it rains, the average height of a blade of grass in our lawn can double in one night. So, five days of rain without a chance to dry out enough for me to cut it again certainly hid this little storm perk from me until I was almost on top of it. So I got my son to take a picture with this... piece of what could have been very bad news if this had happened a week ago. Why?

See the end of the sidewalk there? That leads to my house. That is where I park my car when my father is home. Right now, my car is in the driveway where my dad's van is usually parked.

I just want to take this moment to say... Dad, thanks for going on vacation!

There wasn't really any other damage to our property, but we got quite a surprise when we went to uncover the pool. Without the cover to help support the weight of the water, one side collapsed and dumped out a dozen or so gallons before snapping back into shape. Oh don't worry, the pool is fine now, but we had to wait to use it for about two hours while the saturated ground attempted to absorb yet more water. Poor Pumpkin got soaked... and I'm very glad I was wearing shorts.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I love storms... but please, no more branches! In a couple more weeks I'll be parking there again and I would really rather not have to replace a window or two right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment